Sunday, January 9, 2011

Eagles-Packers Game

Well, I'm riding on the train down to the Eagles game & I thought I'd post my thoughts on today's game. First of all, I'll start by saying that after yesterday's games where both Superbowl teams went down, it just goes to show that you really never no what is going to happen in the NFL. That being said, I'll give it a shot anyway.

Of course, the Eagles opened the season against the Packers with a loss that saw Kevin Kolb get knocked out & the Michael Vick era start, but that game can't really factor into this analysis as these teams have changed a lot since then. I've heard & read a lot about the offense of both teams & how they are both explosive, but that is not what I'm looking at. I think the offenses are both pretty equal, but it's the defense that will make the difference. Unfortunately, I think the advantage there goes to the Packers. They have a great pass rush & can generate pressure without needing to blitz - something that the Eagles can't do.

So what can the Eagles do to counter that advantage. I can think of three things that could lead to an Eagles win:

1. RUN THE BALL: The one area that the Eagles do have an advantage on offense is in the running game as the Packers really don't have one. It will help neutralize the Packers pass rush & will make them less predictable.

2. SPECIAL TEAMS: This is the one phase of the game where the Eagles could have an advantage. The Packers don't really have a good return game & 1 or 2 big plays made by the Eagles in special teams could make a big difference. Don't be surprised to see DeSean Jackson back there returning the occasional punt.

3. THE X-FACTOR: Meaning Michael Vick. If there is one thing we learned from both the Giants game & the Vikings game, it's this - as goes Michael Vick, so go the Eagles. He has shown that he alone can neutralize a team's pass rush with his ability to move & run if need be. Hopefully, the week off after the Vikings debacle allowed him to rest so he'll be 100% today.

My prediction: I just don't like how this game sets up & I have no confidence in Andy Reid sticking to a running game. I'm going to say: Packer 27, Eagles 20. However, like I said, in this league, who really knows.

1 comment:

  1. Think you're right; HOPE you're wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete